May

Role Models, Innovators, and their Peccadillos

0515MEM_cover-no boxHaving had the opportunity to get to know many Apple Inc. executives during the early and often tumultuous years of the Macintosh, it was with some anticipation that I downloaded to my iPad the new book, Becoming Steve Jobs, as soon as it became available.

This newest book on the Apple co-founder comes across as the antithesis to the celebrated 2001 book, Steve Jobs, written by Walter Isaacson, who cast the Apple guru as a mercurial and cantankerous genius. The new book, written by Brent Schlender and Rick Tetzeli, two journalists who have long covered Apple and have access to many company insiders, paints a different psychological profile of Jobs. While they admit to some early bouts of combustion, the authors focus on a more mature leader who was open to the talents of others. It comes as no surprise that Apple wholly embraced this book’s version of Jobs.

The brilliance of Jobs is undeniable and has never been in question. At least not since those early days when the relationship between Jobs and then-CEO John Scully was at the boiling point. The turmoil surrounding Jobs’s penchant for doing his own thing eventually drove him out from the company that he had helped create. His return, years later, led to Apple’s incredible renaissance and to its current position among the world’s top companies.

But the new book’s preoccupation with hallowing Jobs disturbs me. Jobs is one of the great innovative minds and transformative figures of our time and will be revered as a great technology visionary. There is no reason to try and remold his personal peccadillos posthumously. Calling attention to Jobs’s evolving maturity rings defensive and diminishes him.

I’m all for celebrating innovators—for what they do more than for who they are. Here at ASME, we honor technologists every year who have contributed to the profession and to humankind. We even created an exhibit, some years ago, called “Heroes of Engineering,” which featured a collection of famous engineers who contributed to some of the greatest achievements of the 20th century. They included Michael Owens, who owns the patent for the automatic bottle-making machine; the Wright brothers; Garrett Morgan, who invented the gas mask; and renowned inventor Dean Kamen.

In this issue we focus on the work of innovators rather than on the individuals themselves, and we found our inspiration for two of our feature articles from Mother Nature’s gifts of air and water.

In “Shape Shifting Target,” Michael Friswell details how researchers working to optimize commercial aircraft efficiencies are watching the morphing wings of birds for lessons on how the wings of aircraft can be optimized for better performance. In “Go Fast With the Flow,” we move to water flow, from air flow, as John Martin tells us how world-class swimmers shave precious seconds off their race times with the help of an engineering software program that’s typically used in industrial applications.

The unsung heroes may well be the engineers who work behind the scenes with great technology, and also the role models and mentors who go unnoticed, but setting your sights on becoming Steve Jobs is not so bad either.

21 Responses to “Role Models, Innovators, and their Peccadillos”

1. May 19, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I don’t know if it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing issues
    with your blog. It appears like some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and
    let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This may be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Kudos

2. September 4, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this ste with us so I came to take
    a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information.
    I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

Exceptional blog and amazing design aand style.

3. September 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Right here is the perfect web site for anybody who really wants to
    understand this topic. You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that’s been written about for decades.
    Great stuff, just excellent!

4. September 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Hi there, this weekend is good for me, since this point in time i am reading this impressive educational paragraph here at my residence.

5. September 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Hi friends, its impressive article on the topic
    of tutoringand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

6. September 21, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Design has revolutionized the best way Los Angeles ecommerce conducts enterprise.

7. September 21, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Fantastic items from you, man. I’ve take into account your stuff previous to and you’re simply extremely wonderful.
    I really like what you have got right here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you assert it.

You are making it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it smart.
    I can’t wait to learn far more from you. That is really a great web site.

8. September 21, 2015 at 3:39 pm

I blog frequently and I truly thank you for your information. Your article
    has really peaked my interest. I will bookmark your website and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I opted in for your Feed too.

9. September 21, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be exciting to read through articles from other writers and use something
    from their web sites.

10. October 2, 2015 at 4:26 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Cheap Custom
    Shirts. Regards

11. January 21, 2016 at 2:25 am

It is really a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this useful information with us.
    Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

12. April 7, 2016 at 2:03 am

good We can stream video lessons, videos, athletics and Tv set displays employing this Mobdro online Tv set. great.

13. April 7, 2016 at 7:41 am

good Download and install Andy. Produce sure that the Virtualization can be permits in the BIOS options and likewise help to make sure great.

14. April 8, 2016 at 1:24 am

awsome Afterward commence unit installation of this application deal by dual press on its record and carry out on display screen guidance.nice.

15. July 3, 2016 at 4:55 am

good We include some genuinely amazing and superb features which can be presented in SHAREit Computer App like you may easily talk about data files from one unit to another in practically no period nice.

16. August 8, 2016 at 1:44 am

good You can swipe from the proper area to check out the activity of your good friends, switch your avatar, check out your announcements or switch the adjustments of the request. nice.

17. September 29, 2016 at 2:37 am

good That is certainly why some areas in the United Expresses tend to control or fully restrict employing sodium based mostly water softener program due to this very much debated issue. nice.

18. December 3, 2016 at 3:02 am

good Blackmart is complimentary android application to download and install paid applications for totally free. Blackmart App is additionally recognized as Blackmart alpha.