Dec

PLANNING YESTERDAY FOR TOMORROW

1214_cov_no-boxMy friend Gary used to come over to my house almost daily when we were kids, but I secretly prized the times he invited me over to his parent’s place. I had more board games than he did and had gained a bit of a reputation for being a killer table-hockey player, so Gary and a lot of other kids always wanted to test me out. But Gary’s house had gadgets—lots of gadgets. By today’s jargon, I’d call Gary’s mom and dad early adopters.

For example, Gary was among the first kids in school to brag about owning a color TV; he was the first to get a cassette player and a movie camera. I also remember that his folks had kitchen appliances that shined—maybe because they went out to eat a lot. Oh, and they had a car, not that this was necessarily a big deal, except for families like mine that didn’t. For me, entering Gary’s house was like walking into Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress.

Both figuratively and literally Disney has been on the vanguard of innovation since the iconic movie maker opened Disneyland in 1955. Our cover story this month, “What the House of Tomorrow Can Teach Us Today,” opens with a photo spread, across pages 30 and 31, showcasing the Monsanto House of the Future, a popular Disneyland attraction from 1957 to 1967. But the Monsanto house was more than a simple attraction, it was a presumed beacon for how we would live in the future—a future, 1986, that has long passed us. You can see the kitschy promotional video for the house at http://bit.ly/1vC9Cxt.

One of the takeaways from the House of the Future is that, in some ways, technology has far outpaced even the imagination of what the future would hold. But we also see some accurate projections.

The paradox of any archetype that looks ahead in time—a house, a car, a [fill in the blank] of the future—is either that the prototypes are built too many years ago to be considered futuristic today, or those created today are too fundamentally ill-informed to provide realistic projections of tomorrow. Still, they’re valuable as benchmarks of innovation.

Earlier this year, Samsung introduced its own house of the future, the Samsung Smart House. It features a home environment containing technology that’s available today to you and me. You can see Samsung’s promotional video on the house at http://bit.ly/1A29EXl.

Samsung’s and other visions of the house of the future are a showpiece for connectivity. They’re defined by the burgeoning buzz phrase, the Internet of Things (IoT), which delivers the backbone for interconnectivity, be it household devices or industrial chains. In a home environment, the IoT is represented by appliances controlled through voice recognition, or from outside the home through cell phones, tablets, and other mobile devices.

Even as I admired the gadgets in his home, Gary and I preferred to debate the trades of our favorite baseball team more than the future of technology. Not that we didn’t daydream about space stations, visits to Mars, oversize televisions, and wristwatch phones. We didn’t think then that these things would really exist one day. Much like we don’t know today what 2015 will bring, let alone what the home might look like in 2045.

16 Responses to “PLANNING YESTERDAY FOR TOMORROW”

1. April 12, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Bali Mojo also contains Eurycoma Longifola and Tribulus Terrestris, both of which increase testosterone levels.
    At any one time(depending on the overall market), I usually have 10 to 20
    stocks in the first watchlist, and 100-200 on the second watchlist.
    Echinacea has been used by the native North American Indians for centuries for its beneficial medicinal properties.

2. April 20, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Pretty component to content. I just stumbled upon your site and
    in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts.

Any way I’ll be subscribing on your augment or even I success you
    get admission to constantly quickly.

3. April 25, 2015 at 11:18 am

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog website?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit
    acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

4. April 29, 2015 at 5:30 am

Excellent bea ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how can i
    subscribe for a blog webb site? Thee account aided me
    a acceptable deal. I haad been a little bit acquainted
    of this your broadcast provided brioght clear concept

5. May 17, 2015 at 9:23 pm

are available on this 24X7 online Canadian drug store.
    Thanks for your patience and being so attentive to my inquiry.
    In every test you have to provide the examiners the sample from our body either your hair
    follicle or your saliva or your urine etc.

6. May 23, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Будто сбросить лишний вес при помощи шоколада?

Любителя сладкого, желащие сбросить лишний
    вес, шоколад chocolate slim отзывы знают, как мощной становится
    тяготение к лакомствам, как скоро
    ей объявляется бой. и все же существует возможность баловать
    себе сладким и одновременно освобождаться от жировых отложенией – шоколадка для похудения ChocolateSlim сбивает противоречие меж, на первый
    взгляд, несовместимыми багажами.

Чтобы заказать Шоколадка для заполните форму и нажмите
    кнопку “Заказать”. С вами свяжется свой клерк про уточнения условий
    доставки

Состав и лечебные свойства

Какао.Главным компонентом хоть какого шоколада является
    какао. Чем его более, то есть, чем
    чернее шоколадка, и слава богу. В шоколадное дерево держатся вещества, которые
    благоприятно влияют на работу сердечно-сосудистой порядка и нормализуют давление.

не так давно шпанские эксперты провели исследование,
    касающееся капиталом здоровья подростков от 12 до 17,
    коие придерживались различных диет
    и водили здоровый образ жизни.
    В итоге оказалось, будто у любителей шоколада количество жировых отложений было значительно далее, чем около
    остальных. Разъясняется это тем, что
    шоколадка ускоряет метаболизм.
    Даже невзирая на высокую
    калорийность, он мешает способности жиру осесть в организме
    в виде отложений. И еще одно увлекательное наблюдение.

7. June 16, 2015 at 11:07 am

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your website,
    how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
    I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright
    clear idea

8. September 25, 2015 at 12:25 am

On a few of the various other devices, our testers were afraid they were damaging the machines when the dials wouldn’t turn easily.