Jun

FITTING IN AND BREAKING NEW GROUND

0613MEM_CoverAccording to the Urban Dictionary, hipsters are a subculture of men and women in their 20s and 30s who value independent thinking and progressive politics. They appreciate art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

Based on that definition, I wonder what the term might be for those who might appreciate some of those same things yet are older than 39. (I, for one, am well past the recognized hipster age yet enjoy a nice glass of Sancerre, a wine that has been called “post-post-modern” by the wine director at a popular wine bar in a neighborhood near the Brooklyn Navy Yard here in New York City—an area considered so hip that even some hipsters may not yet have fully discovered it.)

More on that in a minute, but first it’s interesting to note that social scientists who study these things have found that groups—even those that strive to be different—breed conformity.
It’s no surprise then that as human beings we share a need—on some level or the other—to fit in, even as we try to be different or belong to a subculture.

So I find it most refreshing to discover individuals who are so comfortable with themselves that they fit in among divergent groups, even if it may seem they don’t fit in within any of them.

Take Adam Steltzner, whom we feature in this month’s One-on-One interview on page 20. He’s an example of someone who transcends the different groups he belongs to—he’s been called a hipster, even though he too is well past the defined presumed hipster target age; he’s also a mechanical engineer who doesn’t fit the traditional profile.

Steltzner is one of the lead NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory engineers who designed key elements of the Mars rover Curiosity. He’s also a former rocker who wears an Elvis haircut and has pierced ears.
“Sometimes I think engineers think too much about engineering and not enough about other things: art, politics, sport, geology, anything other than engineering,” he told our associate editor Jean Thilmany. “I think our engineering becomes better when we let it be influenced by outside sources.”

Going by the Urban Dictionary’s definition of “hipster,” I don’t know what to call Steltzner. But he appears to have embraced the formula that defines those who are finding success today: the ability to adapt to change.

What matters most in today’s environment is the wisdom to embrace the instability of the workplace and changing business models. Assumptions of how things work must be replaced by an openness to embrace new ways of doing business, even as they may make us uncomfortable. Today’s most important skill is the ability to acquire new skills.

Those who are entering the workforce today are comfortable with change. In fact, it’s a good time to be an engineer, as this month’s Trending column on page 28, shows.

It’s not good—whether you’re young or not so young—if you have a hard time balancing the pride of personal experience with the new humbling set of business norms. It’s great if the balance comes naturally. Now excuse me as I pour myself a glass of Sancerre.

17 Responses to “FITTING IN AND BREAKING NEW GROUND”

1. June 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Appreciate it a lot with regard to giving the following operating people you truly understand what you will be speaking somewhere around! Book marked. You need to also check with my website =). You can easliy possess a web page link trade arrangement of us

2. July 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and
    coverage! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve included you guys to my personal blogroll.

3. October 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

I love what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the great works guys I’ve you guys to my own blogroll.

4. December 22, 2013 at 3:16 am

Bringing several new attributes, we are satisfied to current to you the new
    and current clash of clans hack! You will be in a position
    to do several distinct issues to a specified extent.

With this hack, you will be in a position to get as several Gems, Resources and
    Poins that you require for the game! Does it audio as well hard?
    Nicely its not! This new and up-to-date Clash Of
    clans hack will do it routinely, with out you having to do any more operate than a click of a button!

Best element about this hack, is that you dont need a Jailbroken device!
    It’s as easy as connecting the unit and clicking a button!
    There is no far better service than ours on the internet!
    We have the speediest and most secute servers.

Special Characteristics:
    -Acquire all gems
    -Supports any device
    -No jailbroken unit needed
    -Undetected

1. Down load the Clash of Clans Hack from the link over

two. Extract the ZIP dile to your desktop (Just click and drag the files to your desktop)

three. Operate the “Clash of Clans Hack v6.9.exe”

4. Hook up your device to your personal computer

five. Select your system (IOS, Android, etc..)
    and decide on “Scan” for Device
    six.As soon as it completes, enter the ammount of Gems, Details and
    Sources you would like

seven. Hit “Start” and appreciate your free stuff!

5. December 31, 2013 at 2:58 am

Aren’t you tired of playing the game countless hours in order to generate the items in the game.
    What outcome you get by playing it like 12 hours a day.
    Small amount of items get increase and you’re happy with that.

What If I tell you that you can generate unlimited gems, resources and other things in the game.
    YES!! Unlimited Items and you will not have to play the countless hours in order to beat your friends
    or family members. If you are looking to the way to get a
    ton of Gems, Elixir & Gold without spending your money,
    then this Clash of Clans Hack website is for you.

6. May 7, 2014 at 8:06 pm

We’re a group a group of volunteers and opening a
    new scheme in our community. Your website offered us
    with helpful helpful information and paintings on . You have
    made ​​an impressive process and our all the group will
    probably be grateful to you .
    Unquestionably believe which you said . Your favorite reason seemed to be at the internet easy factor to take into accout
    of . I tell you , i definitely annoyed people think concerns just do not know about
    . You controlled and defined on all managed to hit the nail on the top no need
    side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back
    to get more. Thank you

7. June 23, 2014 at 3:13 pm

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your website offered us with valuable information and paintings on .
    You have made ​​an impressive task and our whole neighborhood will probably be thankful to
    you .
    Unquestionably Account which you said . Your favorite justification seemed to be
    at the net simple thing to account of . I tell you , i definitely annoyed people think concerns
    not recognize about . You controlled well as defined everything managed to
    hit the nail on the top without having side effect , people cAN
    could take a signal. Will likely be again to get more.
    Thanks

8. June 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I visit every day a few websites and websites to read posts,
    but this website gives feature based articles.

9. July 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm

There are many involving factors which is often related to this particular unquestionable link.
    Certainly the average salary will probably always comply with
    Clash of Clans Hack for your foreseeable future.
    Your economic push would seem can not make-up it
    is brain with these kind of issues that unsettles investors.
    To estimate one of several good politics analysts Odysseus
    Bootlegger ‘The good results associated with any politics process can simply actually always be considered in the event the extra fat woman provides sung.
    i Incredibly, this individual completely new almost nothing of Clash of Clans Hack till he
    or she ended up being properly straight into
    their thirties. I am highly that when people in politics
    used a smaller amount period considering Clash of Clans Hack along with fit more
    attempt to their spouse and children living, that individuals would
    have a very diverse country.

Precisely why would Clash of Clans Hack cross punch the trail?
    : To get at additional part! Simply just my personal very little scam, yet enables desire of which Clash of Clans Hack will not really encourage
    equivalent hilarity over the following elections.

Many people feel Clash of Clans Hack must not be allowed to
    obtain with respect to the bigger question: exactly why are usually all of
    us the following? Putting this particular aside their of fantastic relevance.
    The item confirms obtain, pumps out ‘fires’, plus it provides the most
    beneficial available throughout folks. I’ll keep the last word to the well known Beyonce De
    Niro: When i need Clash of Clans Hack, absolutely nothing
    a lot more nothing a lesser amount of.

10. July 19, 2014 at 5:51 am

I see a lot of interesting articles on your blog.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of
    time, there is a tool that creates readable, SEO friendly
    articles in couple of minutes, just type in google – k2 unlimited content

11. July 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm

You really make simpsons tapped out cheats appear
    so easy with your presentation but I to find this subject
    be actually one thing that I think I’d never understand.
    It sort of feels too complex and very wide for me. I’m having a look ahead for your subsequent post , I’ll try
    to attempt to get the hang of it!

12. July 25, 2014 at 4:58 pm

You really make cod ghosts prestige hack appear really easy with your presentation however I to find this topic actually something
    that I think I would by no means understand.

It sort of feels too complex and very extensive for me.

I am taking a look ahead on your next Publish , I’ll try to attempt to get the hang of it!

13. August 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just
    your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and everything.
    Nevertheless think about if you added some great visuals or
    video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with
    images and clips, this website could definitely be one of the most beneficial in its field.
    Fantastic blog!

14. October 13, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Generally I do not learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled
    me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me.
    Thank you, quite nice article.

15. January 7, 2015 at 12:56 am

Interesting content you post here, i have shared this article
    on my fb

16. June 2, 2015 at 5:51 am

For those that wish to have their personal belongings shipped via sea, the company
    offers two unique options ‘. Chatting is free
    as well as video calling, social networking sites are entertaining to use, sending emails can be done as easy and one two and three.
    If that’s the case, get a second opinion from another doctor until you get the answer you want.
    Addressing the Austin City Council, Bush highlighted that a “long chain of events, policy papers, closed door meetings and international agreements that began long ago”
    are what has resulted in local approval of New World Order control by the ruling elite.
    Reliability aside from choosing an affordable and well known shipping company like LTV International Removals, it is also best to review
    their reliability.

17. April 27, 2016 at 1:54 am

good Sumona Chakravorty features transferred from getting a partner to his girl. Chandan Prabhakar features been improved from a servant to a chaiwala.nice.