Apr

electricity in rural areas

Post from Harry Hutchinson:

I often stop to think about the wonders of electricity. Take it away, and I can’t run a drink of water, wash my hands, or flush the toilet. I have to light my way to bed with a candle, but that part’s actually fun; it reminds me of Charles Dickens.

Most of the artifacts that I touch were made with electrically powered tools. It’s hard to believe that much of the United States was without electricity as recently as 80 years ago. The Rural Electrification Act passed in 1936.

It was in searching out that little factoid that I came across something very interesting, a 2008 report published by the World Bank, The Welfare Impact of Rural Electrification

According to the report, the introduction of electric power to communities doesn’t have its largest impact in supporting businesses, although stores and clinics get to stay open longer.

It seems that rural electrification in the developing world is largely residential. At one point, there’s an estimate that two-thirds of the electricity consumption in rural Java is residential. The residential consumption rate is about 78 percent in rural Thailand.

Electrification benefits clinics in supporting refrigeration for the preservation of vaccines. The availability of electricity in a community also correlates with a lower absentee rate among health clinic workers and school teachers.

The report quoted an earlier study in which an official in Ghana reported that four teachers had been assigned to the local school, but only one had shown up. As that official put it, “What teacher will come here and live in a place with no electricity?”

In my highly electrified world, the water at home is provided by the city. If a line falls and my home goes dark I can light candles, and the water usually continues to run. I’ll drink wine instead of beer so I won’t have to open the refrigerator and let warm air in.

But if the water department’s separate power supply fails, then a blackout will really start to hurt. There’s no alternative source of clean water where I live.

Communities that are not electrified have a non-electric infrastructure in place—things like kerosene lamps and a hand-drawn water supply. There is some electricity provided by batteries. The World Bank’s report found a high incidence of radio ownership, for instance, that didn’t rely on electrification.

Although centrally generated electric power is cheaper in the long run than buying kerosene for lamps and batteries for radios, the initial costs of connecting are too high for most households at the bottom of the economic pyramid. According to the report, it is usually only the “non-poor” in rural communities who can afford to connect to the grid.

When they do, their main use of electricity is to produce light, which can extend the day, permit children more time to study, improve their study environment, and enhance security.

Cooking and refrigeration seem to be among the less common uses of electricity in the rural places of the developing world. After lighting, the second most common use of electricity is for television. Nearly half of all rural homes with electricity have TV sets, which bring entertainment and new streams of information into the home.

The World Bank, after all, is a funding organization, and its concern with rural electrification is sustainability. That is, after loans are made to back electrification projects, will sufficient numbers of people be willing to pay a sustainable price for electricity, which will be used primarily for light and TV? The answer is yes.

28 Responses to “electricity in rural areas”

1. May 17, 2013 at 9:19 am

The info is rather intriguing.

2. December 12, 2013 at 5:17 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button!
    I’d definitely donate to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google
    account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this
    blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

3. March 13, 2014 at 6:22 pm

The good thing is that residents of the retirement homes
    can take advantage of these facilities free of cost. The main difference is
    the amount of care provided for daily living and medical care.
    You may find that you cannot drive very well at night.

4. April 6, 2014 at 12:26 am

Its like you read my mind! You seem to grasp a lot about this, like you
    wrote the book in it or something. I feel that you could do
    with some p.c. to drive the message house a little bit,
    however instead of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read.

I will definitely be back.

5. May 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well
    written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information.
    Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

6. June 19, 2014 at 2:56 am

What i do not realize is actually how you’re not actually a lot more well-preferred than you might be right now.
    You’re so intelligent. You know thus considerably in relation to this subject, made me personally believe
    it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women are not interested until it’s something to do with Girl gaga!
    Your own stuffs excellent. All the time handle it
    up!

7. July 9, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Desde que minha amiga Dutcher fui visitar Club Med Trancoso tenho uma vontade de visitar este paraiso tambem. Minha Tia tem uma empresa de receptivo então estou pensando de trabalhar par ele ! Beijos Frausto

8. July 20, 2014 at 6:51 am

If you want to grow your know-how just keep visiting this web page and be updated with the newest news update posted here.

9. August 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

The hair follicles are not receiving the right balance of nutrients they need to grow.
    When too much pressure is put on the hair over time it
    can speed up the hair shedding process, resulting in the loss of hairs already
    in the telogen phase. Refrain or limit the amount of heat applied to your hair through the use of blow dryers,
    curling irons, straighteners, etc.

10. August 9, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Amazing things here. I amm very happy to pewr your article.
    Thanks a lot aand I’m having a look forward tto contact you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

11. August 10, 2014 at 12:42 am

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let
    you know a few of thhe images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m noot sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried
    it in twwo different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

12. August 13, 2014 at 8:05 am

American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
    These shampoo ingredients strip my hair of its oils, which is overkill since my hair is already dry.

Have Some Much more Derm – Organic Care For
    The Locks.

13. August 27, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Lulu*s Lulu’s is an online retailer and is one of many hipster clothing stores.

The woman has her hand on her face, and that face is lined with worry.
    You will be able to buy next fashion dress at wholesale prices on liquorish.

14. August 29, 2014 at 9:36 pm

The basis for a diagnosis will start with a thorough examination by your
    veterinarian. When too much pressure is put on the hair over time it can speed up the hair shedding process, resulting in the loss of hairs already in the telogen phase.
    Any cosmetic plastic procedure could be a worthwhile and
    extraordinary experience for both the patient and surgeon, if this is done in the light
    of surgical standards in term of safety.

15. September 9, 2014 at 12:06 pm

It’s actually very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, thus
    I just use web for that reason, and get the latest news.

16. September 12, 2014 at 7:56 pm

It is also supposed to encourage your hypothalamus to “reset”
    your system’s metabolic process making it easier for
    you to digest and process the foods that you eat. And
    likewise, simply eating Muscle Builder Foods And doing Bodybuilding
    Workouts won’t add inches to your chest, arms, and shoulders,
    if you aren’t regularly pumping iron. For those instances,
    a buddy may provide support when necessary.

17. September 13, 2014 at 1:12 am

Horsetail-stimulates growth, helps reduce dandruff.

Neither scenarios are conducive to the length of time (at least 30 days)
    most blacks wear cornrows, micro braids or single braids.
    Leeson said she decided to transform herself into a Kim clone after being bullied and called “ugly” all her life.

18. September 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Hair removal in some areas is essential to replace the areas where its
    growth has stopped. These use a number of techniques to move
    the natural oils down their hair such as boar bristle brushing and ‘scritching’ between washes.
    Your hair protected the top of the head from the elements.

19. September 14, 2014 at 2:21 am

Through the SM Foundation, solutions to social problems for health, education and spiritual assistance have been extended to people in remote areas, by
    way of mobile health and dental clinics, scholarship awards, and contributions foor
    building publiic schools, Catholic chapels and youth centers.

With wweb ecommerce development, you can get online presence for your website.

Most major banks provie dedicated areas for premium banking
    clients, which offer priority access to customers, even when it comes to telephone or online touch points.

20. September 15, 2014 at 2:58 am

Due to our technological development, most of us
    are well-known about the internet. Interested in setting up your own clothing boutique.
    Most bloggers write amazing stuff to start with, but then as their
    enthusiasm wanes the quality slides.

21. September 21, 2014 at 7:46 am

If you are at the point when you can no longer avoid using a blow dryer, minimize the damage.
    It takes many years of love and care to restore hair back to its natural state.
    Many people take biotin supplements after weight loss surgery, hoping
    that will prevent hair loss, but the Linus Pauling Institute website states there is no
    evidence at all that taking extra biotin will
    prevent hair loss or make hair grow back faster.

22. September 23, 2014 at 5:44 am

Wanting to show some skin and amaze an audience but unable to do so
    because of your pale skin. If you don’t mind your tan being darker than you can treat the rest of your tan instead of the blotches and streaks.
    First of all choose a suntan lotion that has a lot of moisturizer in it.

23. November 28, 2014 at 8:07 am

Greetings! Quick question that’s entirely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my iphone.
    I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix
    this issue. If you have any suggestions, please
    share. Many thanks!

24. April 29, 2015 at 2:02 am

HTC One Family. All-metal design, dual front-facing stereo speakers, unrivalled camera tools. Premium design, premium features, premium performance.

25. February 28, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I’m extremely pleased to find this web site.
    I want to to thank you for your time just for this fantastic read!!
    I definitely loved every little bit of it and i
    also have you bookmarked to look at new stuff in your site.