Apr

Engineers Are Boring… not!

Post from Jean Thilmany:

I had a sit-down with my groovy accountant the other day. (The place doubles as an art gallery.) The tax news was okay. So then we got chatting. Alyssa asked me exactly what I did over at ASME.

I launched into my set piece: We write for a wide audience, so it’s not close-up engineering speak. Instead, it’s cool articles of interest to mechanical engineers doing varied jobs. Like I just finished one on how 3-D printing, CAD, and reverse engineering can be teamed to recreate treasures from the past—in three dimensions. And right now I’m piecing together an article on the ergonomics of website design. Then I’m going to interview an artist whose techno-kinetic sculptures demonstrate the thermal principles of ocean waves. And then… She cut me off!

“I understand. I’m a geek too. I love taxes.” That shut me up.

In real life, I’m not an engineer. But writing and talking to them about their work for the past decade or so has given me profound respect. I bristle at the stereotypes. I haven’t found them true in the least.

Still, it’s the way some people—maybe even many people—identify engineers: logical, analytical, noncreative.

And those stereotypes may even inhibit some kids from studying engineering. Take this example. Google reps went to Los Altos high school in California last March to dispel engineering myths. Granted, the reps are soliciting future computer engineers. But the engineering stereotype crosses all disciplines and can be hard to fight.

At Mechanical Engineer we celebrate the creative side of engineering. I loved writing about cell phone apps that measure air quality and the printing of artificial blood vessels. I find that engineers have found a way to meld art and science in their work. I also believe that they’re creative visionaries in a way that some more traditionally creative types need to take seriously and to understand further.

15 Responses to “Engineers Are Boring… not!”

1. April 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more! In my career I’ve worked with electrical engineers and chemical engineers and I find them to be some of the most creative people. Think of the things they cook up! They maybe a little more focused and introspective in some cases, but certainly not boring if you take the time to get to know them.

2. April 5, 2012 at 8:14 am

I like your blog! I refer to the phrase “Ask me something about accounting or fitness.” when someone asks me a question that I do no know…I then proceed to say. “I am a legend in my own mind.”

3. February 11, 2014 at 10:07 am

The flag hung in the center of Oslo, near the heavily-damaged government building was after bomb blasts on 22 July.
    If so, you should know that you will need to have security
    installed on it as soon as you buy it, otherwise you will almost certainly find yourself faced with more trouble than you know
    how to handle farther down the road. This game has only one method
    of user input, which works great if you don’t have an optical trackball.

4. April 21, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Many thanks lots for revealing the following effortlessly individuals you really acknowledge what you’re talking about! Added. Please also visit this site Implies). We could employ a url switch set up concerning all of us

5. September 9, 2014 at 3:58 am

Oh myy goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you so much, However I am
    going through isses with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I cannot subscribe to it.
    Is there anybody having the same RSS issues?

Anyone who knoows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

6. December 8, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I do trust all the concepts you have offered in your post.
    They’re very convincing and will definitely work.
    Still, the posts are very quick for beginners. Could you please extend them a bit from next time?
    Thank you for the post.

7. February 6, 2015 at 9:49 am

I’m really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet
    browser compatibility issues? A small number of my blog visitors have complained about my
    blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?