Mar

sam florman and the wiseguys he’s put up buildings with

Back in late January, I received a very gracious personal letter from Samuel C. Florman. Sam is chairman of the Kreisler Borg Florman General Construction Co., and he’s widely known for authoring six books on the relationship between technology and general culture. His most popular is The Existential Pleasures of Engineering—many of you have probably read it.

In his letter, Sam recalled the time, many years ago, when I became editor of Mechanical Engineering and he spoke of the time, in 1982, when he received the Ralph Coats Roe Medal. He spoke of how much technology—and the world, for that matter—has changed since then. Of course, he’s right. Sam has seen many changes since his youth.

He grew up in New York City during the Depression and earned degrees from Dartmouth and then Columbia, with a stint in the Navy Seabees in between. His work in construction began during a vibrant time of growth in the city where it seemed that the skyline changed almost weekly.

With his letter, Sam was also kind enough to send me a preview version of his latest book, Good Guys, Wiseguys, and Putting Up Buildings and promised to send me a final version when it came out this week. He also told me this will probably be his last book, but I have some doubts. He’s still got a lot to contribute—he’s a regular columnist for Harper’s and Technology Review.

The final version of Sam’s book arrived last week and this past Tuesday, The Wall Street Journal ran a review of it. Personally, I think the book is great. Even though the publisher made it out to be about the mob’s influence on the construction industry, it really is more about a slice in time, Sam Florman’s time. It was a time that defined this city’s landscape and its imprint on this country.

At the moment I’m trying to convince Sam to let us excerpt the book in Mechanical Engineering. I hope he does. I’ll let you know.

10 Responses to “sam florman and the wiseguys he’s put up buildings with”

1. June 3, 2013 at 12:58 am

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice
    written and come with almost all important infos. I would
    like to see more posts like this .

2. September 23, 2013 at 1:18 am

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins too help woth
    Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not
    seeingvery good gains. If you know off any please share.
    Appreciazte it!

3. October 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

I do not create a comment, however I browsed a few remarks on
    this page sam florman and the wiseguys hes put up buildings
    with | From the Editor’s Desk. I do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright.
    Is it simply me or do some of these remarks look
    like they are coming from brain dead folks?😛 And, if you are writing on
    other online social sites, I’d like to keep up
    with everything new you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of your public pages like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

4. July 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Whatever it is something catches someone’s fancy, they
    pass it on to their friends who in turn and before we know it that short clip received 300,000 hits.
    You might also see a boost in the number of people who visit your site and
    leave their contact details as opposed to those who visit, view,
    and leave. An optimization specialist will be able to come up with sensible
    solutions even in the height of chaos.

5. August 13, 2014 at 1:21 am

Females of the species prefer to mate with those males that are brighter
    and have more color. From local markets in Spain, to the streets of
    Italy, to the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Europe has something to
    do every day and for everyone. We’re human, and accidents happen, which is why it’s
    important to have a few simple tricks up your sleeve to
    make your tanning accidents fade away leaving you looking worthy of a St.

6. August 16, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Surgeons ask the patient to stop smoking cigarettes several weeks before the face lift surgery.
    Is he an active member of a Plastic Surgery Association or Society.
    By using a radio frequency face lift, many men and women can prolong the need for
    a full-fledged face lift later on in life.

7. August 19, 2014 at 9:46 am

Hello, all is going fine here and ofcourse every
    one is sharing data, that’s truly fine, keep up writing.

8. September 6, 2014 at 6:43 am

Face lift involves procedures to smooth out wrinkles and
    lines by surgically tightening the skin of the face. During
    your consultation visits, ask potential plastic surgeons about the financing plans they offer.
    At $10,000 it was exactly one tenth cheaper than the same
    surgery in the United States, which would have cost him
    $100,000.

9. September 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Several recent studies have shown Proscar is effective for hair loss and can help regrow some hair on some people,
    but as I said before, the use of 5AR inhibitors only deals with a part of the problem and are generally
    not very effective when used as the only treatment.
    All you have to do is brush your hair with this product for about fifteen minutes at a time.
    Using natural treatment for hair loss just makes good sense.

10. October 9, 2014 at 6:10 am

But now, with the prevalence of social media accounts, caretakers must now tackle the
    hurdle that is their loved one’s online presence.
    If a person is interested in what they see on your Facebook page, it’s crucial that they have your contact information to learn more.
    Submitting articles is an excellent way to market your
    website.