Sep

i don’t want to remember 9/11

I don’t want to remember 9/11. Why would anyone? It was one of the worst days this country has witnessed in modern history.

Many of us have tried to put that day behind us and move on. Some of us are still in therapy trying to move forward, without looking back. But for the past few days 9/11 has been inescapable. The media hounds us with tributes, and remembrances of the soot-soiled swarms of people running away from the befallen Twin Towers—running for their lives.

What’s so special about 10 years, anyway? What makes the 10th anniversary any more special than the 8th, or the 9th, or the 12th?

Every day we live with a heavy heart because of the powerless lives lost that day. Every day we realize the equality of the human being. It didn’t matter whether it was the waiter working Windows on the World that perished, or the power broker, master of the universe, he was waiting on. At the end of the day, at the end of 9/11, they were both just helpless human beings, as they were the day they were born.

Everyone wants me to remember 9/11, as if I have ever forgotten it.

I was in Houston at a conference learning about the latest advances in sensors and instrumentation. My son, then 7, was back home in New York with my ex-wife, who worked at Tower Two.

It wasn’t until 6 in the afternoon that I found out my son was OK, and that my ex was too. It turns out our babysitter was late and Kathy made it to her building just as it was collapsing, right before her eyes. My kid was OK too, though who knows what long-lasting impact that day may have on him, or, for that matter, on the rest of us.

My colleagues and I didn’t get home until days later. One of them took the first bus out. He arrived back even after I did. I’ve kept the ticket to a baseball game I was scheduled to go to that day. It reads: Enron Field, Houston Astros vs. San Francisco Giants, Tuesday, September 11, 2001. My how things have changed.

Spectacularly, the people of Houston, the same as others throughout the country, lined the city’s streets to donate blood. The coming together on 9/11 was a byproduct of the crime that the terrorists couldn’t have foreseen.

As tributes to those who died on 9/11, some fire engines in New York remain inscribed with the words, “We will never forget.” I see them all the time. I don’t want to remember 9/11, but how can I ever forget?

If you’d like to share your thoughts, I invite you to do so.

10 Responses to “i don’t want to remember 9/11”

1. May 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This paragraph will assist the internet viewers for creating
    new website or even a weblog from start to end.

2. June 12, 2014 at 10:24 am

400 acres in Blue Ridge Mountains in Cedar Mountain, North Carolina.
    First, you need to look at the power output of the
    generator. In her six years at Broad Acres, she
    has helped create and implement several programs
    to ensure consistency in curriculum, instruction and assessment throughout the school.
    These make teen boot camps seem more like punishment rather than life-changing or life-saving intervention.
    But if you are short of time & lets face it with all that wedding planning, who isn’t, you might want
    to consider signing up to a bridal boot camp.

Take photos of your family members against the backdrop of a setting or rising sun. Legion guards
    seem to come in pairs, so as long as you fire quickly you’ll
    be fine. These summer camps kids with disabilities are
    usually given special therapeutic services. Preplan a list, give the kids a bag and send them searching for each item around the grounds.

Depending on which sport the camp is for, there are many
    computer games available for the entertainment area.

3. June 27, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Climate change is it really happening, does smoking give
    you cancer, of course, it is and it does. Although becoming a landlord is not as
    fabulous as having business properties around the city or flipping
    highly profitable properties for quick cash, it is a good method to work out for
    a comfortable retirement. We seek to find out what value the BPO
    agent gave to the house. In a short time you might find yourself managing a profitable and growing portfolio
    of investment properties. With many areas of the country still experiencing suppressed real estate markets,
    many houses and other buildings are selling at historically low
    prices. It probably wouldn’t help her opinion of me if I let her get away, but at least it wasn’t like she, I, or anyone else would get hurt.
    When you decide to choose park city real estate, make sure that you use a reliable local realtor such as
    Parkcityrealestateforsale. The Investing book intends to not only provide
    advice on investments for beginners, but also aims to offer fresh ideas for experienced investors.
    You, however, will be seeing outside your own pain and beginning to live again.
    There’s no reason you can’t also build massive, passive cash flow; spread your investment risks; use leverage effectively;
    and build substantial equity.

4. June 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Not only that, but the violent nature of American football makes it too dangerous for players to compete in the offseason. No one wants
    to eat a warm lunch in the heat of summer. The “Hurricane Hunters”, comprised of pilots
    from the U. It is an friendly place where kids
    learn all about the environment, conservation and community.
    Hence, if your kid has some medical conditions or is physically handicapped, then you should not consider these type of camps.

Call them today at (860) 698-9226, stop by their studio at 585 Hazard Ave.
    I can claim to have the refreshment I seek for, from rafting
    as I know myself and I know my likes and dislikes.
    Other items that will make the most of your trip are a
    flashlight, binoculars, and a digital camera.
    A percentage of the time you may run to the wrong area, but this is the
    risk you take, the up side is that a percentage of the time you should
    run to the right area, and this percentage
    you should be able to increase with practice. This is important since many parks
    do not allow noise to a certain level thus, when you are going camping in such places,
    you will have a generator that is not noisy.

5. July 4, 2014 at 12:26 am

Jim Hartley works for Quantum Learning Network, a company that focuses on children and teen education and life skills.
    I was happy getting up at 10am and sitting on Eileen’s stoop telling jokes with my
    friends. Try to determine the needs of your child adequately.
    Your child may learn confidence around animals and acquire a
    love and respect for these beautiful animals. Camp Akeela
    1 Thoreau Way Thetford Center, VT 05072 Camp Director: Debbie & Eric Sasson Assistant Director:
    Jaynie Goodbody Head Counselor: Jaynie Goodbody & Rob Glyn-Jones.
    Other days, I toss in a dollar and let her choose something from the concession stand.
    To promote literacy throughout her community, Oliver helps sponsor “Books and Supper Night,” a quarterly event that allows families to visit the
    school and check out books from the library. They also offer a nine college credit special education course over the summer.
    They are physical in nature and push teens to their limits.

************************************************************************************************************************************************.

6. July 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Shock hair loss is generally caused by physician error when doing the treatment,
    so picking a physician who understands exactly what they are doing is essential.
    Traction Alopecia (often caused by excessive or tight braiding or ponytails).
    These products work the best in younger men who have only begun to lose their hair, and in those whose androgenetic alopecia is still in the early stages where hair is thinning but
    continuing to grow.

7. July 13, 2014 at 10:33 am

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook
    or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based
    upon on the same information you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would value your work.
    If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

8. August 2, 2014 at 10:00 am

The cause for so many Miami Kitchen remodeling projects is simply because people are deciding to save a lot more funds by spending their time
    inside the residence and cooking fresh meals that cost
    much less than a night out inside the town. Patch
    Small Holes in Drywall Home Improvement Project.
    Start an inspiration file and share it with your designer during your initial meetings.

9. August 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm

It is very common to experience 2 or 3 pounds of weight loss after the first day.
    The firm bases any discount about the cost of paying for several plastic bottles of the 15-day give.
    ,” keep in mind that the h – CG weight loss plan works because you’re taking the h – CG hormone in injection, oral drop or pill form during the time you’re on the 500 calorie per day diet.

10. May 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Great weblog right here! Also your site loads up fast!

What web host are you using? Can I get your associate link in your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol